A good web design, wise sections with the call to actions & relevant copy result in the success of any website. Since we’re in a race of ranking higher in Google search results, a good design, easy accessibility & effective content always helps the website to rank higher than others.
In this article, I will outline a few essential tips for web designers to design a good & effective website that will improve the quality & accessibility of a website.
The below tips will definitely help web designers who are willing to design/develop their own or client’s website.
1. Research The Topic & Client Needs –
Research is the main phase considered in the web design process. The research phase is important in the web design process because it clarifies more if we are on the right track & solving the exact problem statement of the client.
By making a good research on a website topic, we get a clearer idea of what we are building, the user flows on a website, the client’s problem statement that we’re solving on the website.
2. References & Inspirations –
Always get inspired by other designer’s work & feel free to copy some sort of sections from their work. This will create some more time for you to customize the sections instead of designing them from scratch.
Where do I get awesome references & inspiration?
3. Wireframing & Prototyping –
Wireframing is the process of finalizing the important sections of the website in a mock way. In simple words, wireframes are the blueprints of websites that only have wired(lines) structure.
Prototyping is the step where a client can actually operate his mock website & see how things will work on an actual website.
Both steps are implemented before starting the actual work on designing or coding to avoid repetitive changes from the client.
Some popular Wireframing & Prototyping tools I use –
4. Start with Actual Design –
Now, it’s time to design in actual. Take all the notes from your references, add your creative ideas in it & start designing.
Few things that need to be considered when designing a website –
- Don’t make it too lengthy – When designing a website or a webpage, make sure you don’t make it too long for your visitors. List out the mainly focused sections for your particular page, set the sequence for all sections & design them accurately.
- Add Call to Actions – Call to actions are much important on any kind of website whether it is a personal portfolio or business website. But placing all your call to actions at the top of your website does not make a great effect on your website. A lot of visitors take action at the end of your website when they get assured of the service reliability you’re providing. So it’s recommended that to place your call to actions at the bottom of your page where the user engagement is high.
- Answer the visitor’s questions – When a user lands on your website, he simply scrolls the page & check if you provide the service/facility the exactly he wants. If he gets the answer on the same landing page, he takes action and gets converted into your customer. So when choosing website sections & writing a copy, make the right decision & choose all the sections wisely that answer’s all your visitor’s questions on the landing page itself.
- Make your page mobile-friendly – As per the recent survey, the global number of mobile traffic has reached 45% between the year of 2015 & 2019. This means 45% of internet traffic comes from mobile devices. Depending on which Google has changed its algorithm for mobile-friendly websites from 2015. According to this algorithm, websites that are responsive (mobile friendly) will rank better than unresponsive websites.
5. Collect Feedback –
The last but very useful tip – Feedback. Ask your friends or colleagues to test your work & give feedback. Getting valuable feedback from your friends or colleagues helps us to improve the areas that we often miss.
Final Thoughts –
Considering the above steps, you’ll be able to design a neat & clean website for your client. These the very basic yet very important steps for a Web Designer who is willing to design good website design.
While if you need any help or have some questions, do ask them below or you can get in touch with me from here.
I will be covering some interesting topics in my upcoming posts. The next post coming very soon so don’t forget to leave a comment below and share your thoughts upon this post. 🙂